A Beginner's Guide To A Plant-Based-Diet
There is no doubt that emphasizing fresh, natural ingredients and minimizing processed foods is beneficial for your overall health and wellness. A plant-based diet does just that!
We cover everything you need to know about a plant-based diet, including its potential health benefits, how to get started, and a few simple recipes!
WHAT IS A PLANT-BASED DIET?
A plant-based diet primarily consists of food that comes from plants. It includes fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, oils, whole grains, legumes, and beans with few or no animal products such as milk, eggs, or honey.
Studies have shown that a plant-based diet is associated with reducing the risk of heart diseases and cholesterol. The high fiber content of a plant-based diet, along with the exclusion of processed foods, is also a winning combination for weight loss.
4 SIMPLE WAYS TO GET STARTED WITH A PLANT-BASED DIET:
- Shop locally and seasonally
Local, organic, and seasonal produce are filled with nutrients and limit exposure to harmful, synthetic chemicals.
- Eat plenty of vegetables
Fill half your plate with fresh organic veggies. They are one of the lowest-calorie plant options that are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Choose good fats
Fats that are present in olive oil, nuts, and seeds are the perfect way to incorporate healthy fats into your lifestyle.
- Include whole grains for breakfast
Start your day with whole grains such as oatmeal, buckwheat, or barley that are packed with minerals, vitamins, and dietary fibers.
PLANT BASED-EATING THROUGHOUT THE DAY
Here are some of our favorite plant-based recipes for every meal of the day!
BREAKFAST: BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES
The quintessential breakfast option with a healthy twist! Buckwheat is filled with fiber and protein, and its nutty taste lends itself beautifully to a fluffy pancake recipe that is topped with your favorite seasonal fruits.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- In a small bowl, mix flaxseed and 2 ½ tablespoons water to make a flax egg, stir and set aside for 5 minutes
- In a bowl, mix the non-dairy milk with the apple cider vinegar, set aside for 5 minutes
- In a medium bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Combine the flax egg, mashed banana, and oil to the milk mixture
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, combine well and set aside for 5 minutes
- In a greased pan, add 1/4-cup dollops of the batter and cook for 5 minutes on each side
- Serve with maple syrup and top with your choice of fruits and nuts
LUNCH: BUDDHA BOWL
This buddha bowl recipe promises a refreshing one-dish meal that simply comes together by piling a healthy combination of whole grains, fresh vegetables, legumes, and a luscious sauce in a large, single-serving bowl.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 ½ cups of tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 - 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- A handful of chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt and Pepper, as per taste
- In a pot, bring the water, quinoa, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes
- Remove from heat, let it sit for 5 minutes, and fluff with a fork
- Puree the yogurt, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve
- Assemble the bowl with spinach, quinoa (warm or cold), tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, avocado, carrots, sunflower seeds, basil, and drizzle with the creamy balsamic dressing
DINNER: LENTIL SOUP
This lentil soup recipe bursts with hearty vegetables that are seasoned with a few of our favorite spices and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups of potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup of uncooked green lentils
- 2 cups of spinach
- Salt and pepper, as per taste
- In a large pan, add the oil, garlic, onions, carrots, and celery. Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until slightly tender and golden brown.
- Add potatoes cook and thyme for 2-4 minutes
- Add the vegetable broth to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the lentils and simmer on a low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are tender
- Add the spinach and season with salt and freshly ground pepper and cook for 3 minutes
If you do try any of these plant-based recipes, we would love to see your culinary masterpiece!
Please do tag us on Instagram @zamaorganics.